MONT Commercialization Resources
Node POC for I&E: Andrew Lingley, email@example.com
Statement: Bozeman, Montana is a great place to start a business. For four years running, Policom has ranked Bozeman #1 in their Micropolitan Economic Strength Rankings. There is considerable startup activity here and Montana State University and Gallatin College provide a talented workforce. It is a beautiful place with endless outdoor adventure opportunities and a convenient airport that serves the Gallatin Valley.
Getting Started: Visit this website to learn about the Montana Nanotechnology Facility (MONT NNIC Site). Follow the Becoming a User icon to start working with MONT.
Funding: MONT awards a limited number of Project Initiation Grants of up to $5,000 USD and that can be used for MONT equipment time, training, technical assistance, and lab usage fees. User grants must be used within one year from the date of the award. These user grants are financed by the National Science Foundation (NSF), through the NNCI program. MSU also offers gap funds through the Technology Transfer Office to support the pre-commercialization activities around faculty inventions exhibiting strong market potential.
Resources: Montana State University entrepreneurial resources and other regional support networks can help kickstart your business:
- Masters of Science in Innovation Management: This is a 30-credit, non-thesis one-year graduate program designed to provide early-stage professionals with a set of skills that will enable them to be more effective leaders, innovators, and team members.
- The Blackstone Launchpad: The Blackstone LaunchPad is a non-profit campus resource for students, alumni, and faculty interested in business and entrepreneurship. The LaunchPad works with established businesses and fledgling entrepreneurs to bring their ideas to life and grow their businesses.
- 406 Labs: 406 Labs houses a business incubator and accelerator that focuses on market research, product developments, mentorship, and business resource access.
- Early Stage MT: Early Stage MT is helping tech entrepreneurs grow faster and creating jobs to diversify and grow Montana's economy.
- Montana Innovation Partnership: Powered by MSU TechLink, Montana Innovation Partnership promotes technology-based economic development in the state through education and expert technical assistance for SBIR/STTR proposals.
- Frontier Angels: Generating returns for our investors, our communities, and all Montanans by accelerating the growth of the tech ecosystem.
- Next Frontier Capital: Our focus is to partner with mission-driven, talented entrepreneurs to build Rocky Mountain technology companies of impact, utility, and value.
- Montana Innovation Campus: The MSU Innovation Campus is Bozeman, Montana’s premier commercial development offering exciting new opportunities for partners to invest and build in a highly creative and entrepreneurial environment.
Features/Case Studies: Below are a few MONT-affiliated entrepreneurs and companies we’d like to feature:
- Revibro Optics: Revibro aims to manufacture the fastest tunable optic in the world. Funding from the National Science Foundation SBIR program and Montana MBRCT provided critical development resources and helped Revibro to develop their first deformable mirror product suited for microscopy and laser focusing applications.
- Agile Focus Designs: Agile Focus Designs provides accurate, agile, and user-friendly tools for microscopists in manufacturing, science, and healthcare. Montana Technology Innovation Partnership (MTIP) program, MSU Blackstone LaunchPad, and longstanding technical and business contacts have been invaluable resources.
- Nano Magnetic Solutions: Founded in 2021, Nano Magnetic Solutions develops next-generation cell culture assays based on magnetic fields, forces, and nanoparticle technology. The team won 2nd place during Montana State University's inaugural $50K Venture Competition, and then participated in the 406 Labs incubator.
Entrepreneur-in-Residence: Trevor Huffmaster, firstname.lastname@example.org